Monday, October 17, 2011

As you sip on your morning coffee...

...think about this. In class yesterday, people voiced prayer requests that concerned seeking God's direction in various aspects of their lives. Others in the class may have similar concerns that they kept private.

I like all kinds of Christian music; in my mind, there's no bad way to praise our Savior as long as the worship comes with a heart of adoration and in a sincere, repentant, and doctrinally sound spirit. But I admit having an affinity for the poetic magnificence of older hymns, such as the one we sang yesterday as a congregation.

I woke up this morning with such a hymn on my mind, and the hymn relates to seeking God's direction but refocuses us on what's of utmost importance (a couple of verses included):

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art;
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou my inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

In other words, as spoken by someone who knows our needs and desires quite well, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33.

Here's to all of us going through today while viewing our circumstances through that lens.

BP

1 comment: